Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Pooka

I've been working on this short story for awhile now, and I have restarted it a few times. It's about a young man who gets dragged along from one place to another by a man he wants to work for. The "boss" character has kind of a terrible day ahead of him when this kid shows up, including a doctor's appointment, a wake, and dealing with a wife who wants a divorce. It's an idea I've had for awhile, and I've got the big points figured out, but for some reason it's just not doing it for me yet. Here's the beginning:

The driver pulled the car up to a funeral home, and when Isaac saw the building, with its Corinthian columns and its name, “Famularo’s” written in gold script on the sign outside, he decided that this was the kind of place he would not like to end up when he died. The truth was, he didn’t have much interest in going inside even while he was alive, but he saw Anthony opening the door, gesturing for him to get out.
“What’s going on?” Isaac asked.
“A wake. Don’t Jews have wakes? It’s where you—you sit around a dead body and cry a little, and you visit with family.” Anthony gestured toward the ground, indicating that Isaac should be getting out of the car. Isaac obliged, because even now, six hours into their day together, Anthony Colucci still terrified him as much as he had when they first met.
As he followed Anthony inside, Isaac tried to explain how Jewish funerals work, getting confused looks when he mentioned the rending of clothing. Anthony silenced him when they came to the door. He turned toward him, his hand on the brass handle, and said, “Well, the way Catholics bury their dead is this: you have a wake, you have a funeral, you bury the body, and you go eat. That’s it.”
This, Isaac had come to realize over the course of the day, was the philosophy of Anthony Colucci: anything could be survived, as long as there would be food afterward.

I don't know, maybe I just need to write it until the end and then see what's working and what's not. Or maybe I need to ditch it altogether.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

last year i went to a catholic wake and funeral with a bunch of jewish friends. i've been to a lot of funerals, catholic and protestant, some of the jews had never been to one at all, or had been only to jewish ceremonies. so they all relied on me to guide them. it was weird for me to be looked to for instructions on appropriate behavior at a funeral, and it was difficult for me to explain a lot of it.
the one thing they understood was the massive amounts of food, and they appreciated the alcohol.
they were slightly offended by the flowers, they asked me if they were expected to walk up to the casket, if they should pray their, what to say to the family, and even though i had told them what to expect, i saw their shock when they walked into the viewing room of the funeral home. "this is traumatic. why do they do this?"
at the "peace be with you" part of the ceremony at the funeral, i had three jews turn to me in panic, one of them gripping my arm. i had already told them not to take communion, but forgot to warn them about this part.
"just shake hands."

LAudaP said...

Heyyyyy Hermano! Long time no electronic transmission! I'm glad you liked my Band thing, and likewise your blog is great. I especially like the end of this one--Isaac's observation really piques my interest in seeing how he develops. Will ya send me that essay when you're done with it (that is, if you don't post it here)? New email: lorenpoin@gmail.com

How's life?

LAudaP said...

The "peace be with you" part was always my favorite part of church! And I hated every other part.