Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Musical Wednesdays: Some New Bands You Might Like

Sometimes when I listen to the radio, I feel a lot like a crotchety old man. I change the station whenever Passion Pit comes on, I don't really enjoy Beach House, and I pretty much swear at the radio when Vampire Weekend plays (Seriously, three different stations playing songs from their new record? Egregious!).

But I don't want to give the impression that I'm somehow opposed to new music. I love new music. There's nothing I like more than when a band I've never heard really impresses me on the radio, and I'd like to share some new bands that I have been liking lately.

1. Surfer Blood: Surf rock by way of Pavement? Yes, please. Definitely check out "Swim to Reach the End."

2. The XX: Not at all a typical pick for me, but "Heart Skipped a Beat" is really great. There's this great drum effect in the beginning that sounds like an irregular heartbeat and the rest of the song lives up to it.

3. The Antlers: I heard a song off of their album, "Hospice," called "Kettering" a few months back and was really struck by it. Of course, the first thing I thought of was Sloan-Kettering hospital, and it turns out the album is about losing a loved one to cancer. It's really powerful and I recommend checking them out.

That's all for today, but if there's anything else you think I should check out, feel free to leave a comment!

No comments: