Monday, September 7, 2009

Fiction Mondays: Rainy September

Well, since I took Friday off, I think I'm required to post on this, a holiday. There's a lot to report in today's Fiction Monday, not the least of which is that I have finished a second draft of my novel! I tightened it where it needed to be tightened and added sentences and whole chapters where things were not as complete as I wanted them. It was messy, but I got it done, and now I'm excited for the next step.

I finished another book this week, Neil Gaiman's excellent Neverwhere: A Novel. It's about a young man, Richard Mayhew, who gets pulled into an alternate-London underneath the regular one. It's a city of danger and magic, and an enormous beast that stalks a labyrinth deep beneath the city. Highly recommended.

And today, I started another novel, and it's a big one:Gravity's Rainbow. This is part of the recent trend of starting reading groups to get through difficult books, like this summer's Infinite Summer. Thanks to Moonrat over at Editorial Ass for coming up with "Rainy September." This is a book I have tried (and failed) to get through before, so I'm excited to get through it with a group. This has also inspired me to start one for next spring: Augie March (The month it starts is built in to the title!) I liked what I read of Augie March, but it's one of those books that I couldn't get through because I started school. Let me know if you have any interest in joining me on that undertaking.

Well, I'm off to the book. I have a lot of rockets, psychics, and scientific experiments to get to. Enjoy your Labor Day, everyone!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I loved Augie March so much that I might be willing to read it again.

John said...

Excellent! I really liked what I read of it, but then I had all of the books I had to read for classes, so I never got through it and just haven't picked it up again.