Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Musical Wednesdays: Bands I Think I Might Like

There are a few bands that have been popping up on my radar (more specifically, on the Sirius/XM-U channel on satellite radio) that I really don't know if I like just yet. I think it's the fact that I've only heard one or two songs by each of these bands, and I'm not quite sold.

The first band is Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, whose new single, "Home" is on a loop in my brain. It's kind of genre-defying, but I guess you could say it falls on the hippie end of the folk spectrum. It's a really upbeat call-and-response love song, with one of the most unabashedly joyful choruses I've heard in a long time. It's about falling in love, and it really sounds like it. They had another song in rotation, "Janglin" that wasn't bad, but after watching some videos of the band performing and the official music video for home, I'm kind of on the fence. I get the sense that they're trying too hard, with the lead singer in a white robe in one performance video and the music video filmed through a surreal, strange lens that distorts the light and the figures:




I like the song, and I want to like the band, but I can't shake the feeling that there's something strange about it, like this group is playing at it. But maybe that's just what being a performer comes down to.

The second band is Dent May & His Magnificent Ukulele (is there a trend here with these band names?), and the first song I heard, "Meet Me in the Garden," got insanely overplayed really quickly. It's weird and lounge-inspired. I heard another one a few nights ago, and I liked it a lot more, but I can't for the life of me remember the name. Here's the video for the first single:


So here I'm again wondering if I want to like this band. I mean, I already have a clever and talented ukulele player (ukulelist?) in my musical roster, and I really prefer Beirut because I think Zach Condon is a much better songwriter. He creates a more richly-imagined world in his albums, and he doesn't seem removed from the music, as the Dent May video does. I prefer beauty in music more than cleverness--I'm much more likely to be affected by a song like "Elephant Gun" or "Postcards from Italy" because I think the sentiments they contain are worth writing songs about.

So what do you think? Has anyone heard other songs by these bands? Are they worth my time?

I also want to take this opportunity to promote a friend of mine from college, Julian Lynch. He just came out with an album of 4-track recordings, and what I've heard so far is really dreamy and psychedelic. There are a lot of things I remember about hanging out with him, especially during my freshman year, but one of my favorites was a time my friend Paul and I found him in his room, recording on his computer, using anything he had nearby for percussion. He played back one of the songs for us, and during a quiet part, he turned to us and said, "This is where the chorus of Mexicans comes in." Hearing his record, it suddenly makes sense.

3 comments:

Charlotte W. said...

All Songs Considered featured Edward Sharpe as one of their best performers at SXSW this year, but the general consensus was that they were vastly superior in person and recordings couldn't really do them justice. Maybe they're touring?

Also, speaking of SXSW, check out Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson.

--AG

Kirk said...

I'd say you're on the money: these bands remind me of every made-for-the-market collective (The Monkees, 98 Degrees, etc.) that has come before them. Very much seem like dudes/ladies who are "playing at it."
That's not to say they aren't playing pretty well, but the colorful fonts from which they drink seem to have stained their collective lips.

In other words, listening to Dent May & His Magnificent Ukelele just makes me want to listen to Beirut. It's interesting that Dent is so lounge-y...
I'm imagining a WWII-era Dent May playing in a lounge for generals, while Condon is out there, amongst the explosions and the vomit, wailing away.
Does that metaphor make sense?

What I'm saying is:
Wow! I only knew of Julian, I never knew him, but I'm excited for this, nonetheless.

John said...

Kirk, I totally agree with the Dent May analysis. And in the end, I would much rather hear the stuff that isn't being played in the safety of the Officers' lounge. There's something about Beirut that doesn't seem so artificial in its artificiality, if that makes sense.